Onboard the apprentice into the company
This section explores the induction process of the apprentice into the company, and how to prepare yourself for the mentorship.
There are a few key things you will need to tell your new apprentice before they start, to make the induction process as smooth as possible. This includes information about the start date & time, access to the company, working hours, dress code, required paperwork, etc.
When the day has arrived that your new colleague is about to start, they are likely to be feeling quite anxious. It is really tempting to provide them with a wealth of information on day one but try not to overdo it. Some key things that could be cover on the first day include introductions to the team, get them installed on their work space/desk, familiarise them with their work computer, email, company phone system, etc. This may also be a good time to introduce the apprentice to the company’s main policies & procedures and office etiquette.
Often, introduction of new processes, new surroundings and new people can feel overwhelming, so it can be useful to discuss with your apprentice what you expect them to be doing on a day-to-day basis. Establishing a weekly planner for the apprentice can be particularly helpful in managing their (and your) time. As a manager or supervisor of a new apprentice, one of the most important things you can do is manage expectations – not just of the wider business but your own expectations too. Be clear from the outset of what you expect from them.
This video describes the induction process of the apprentice:
Mentortrain video 3.1 (duration: 4:23)
- Prepare for your new apprentice a list of documents they will need for the first day.
- Prepare also the list of documents which you should give to them and especially those they need to sign.
- Prepare your own checklist
- You can find more tips for onboarding of apprentices through the following links: https://www.wholewhale.com/tips/7-things-know-intern-onboarding/
- An example of a checklist for onboarding of new apprentices can be found here: https://resources.workable.com/onboarding-interns-checklist
- For more detailed and extensive information about onboarding apprentices, see this manual: https://silo.tips/download/onboarding-manual-for-internship-programs
- See also the following YouTube videos for more ideas and inspiration on the onboarding process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jylMa0olJLM